Merry Summer Solstice!

Merry Summer Solstice!
El Sol

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Earth

Let the day grow on you upward
through your feet,
the vegetal knuckles,

to your knees of stone,
until by evening you are a black tree;
feel, with evening,

the swifts thicken your hair,
the new moon rising out of your forehead,
and the moonlit veins of silver

running from your armpits
like rivulets under white leaves.
Sleep, as ants

cross over your eyelids.
You have never possessed anything
as deeply as this.

This is all you have owned
from the first outcry
through forever;

you can never be dispossessed.

Derek Walcott

2 comments :

  1. Fantastic, Elizabeth! What a wonderful way to reach the masses with your passion.

    I needed this today. I'm still at the lake in Michigan. It's very cold and windy...white caps racing across the water...and nearly all of the summer folks have gone back to their city dwellings. Walcott reminded me that my day, THIS day, is the only thing I can be certain of. I think I'll go out and ride my bike and let the crisp fall air "grow upward".

    ReplyDelete
  2. bonnie,

    hello! so great to hear from you at the lake! and glad to hear you hopped on your bike and went for a ride! see you when you are back in the desert...

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete