Merry Summer Solstice!

Merry Summer Solstice!
El Sol

Monday, August 19, 2013

For Shiloh - Magnificent Border Collie ~ 1997-2013



I Ask Percy How I Should Live My Life

Love, love, love, says Percy.
And hurry as fast as you can
along the shining beach, or the rubble, or the dust.

Then, go to sleep.
Give up your body heat, your beating heart.
Then, trust.


Mary Oliver


 ***


Pear Dreams

 for Shiloh

From the cool shade of the porch
I toss my half-eaten pear
out into the vast landscape
of desert backyard,
and watch as our border collie
snaps for it.

It is hers
forever.

She sends an artful glance
to our german shepherd,
a few feet away,
who, now,
can only dream
of tasting the sweet mushy meat
and chewing on the small funny stem.

ECS
As read on W.B.U.R's  Here & Now, in 2004.


No comments :

Post a Comment